Friday, January 2, 2009

Beagle Assistant

My number one complaint against cellphones - you can't program them to do what you want. The same goes for PCs running Windows. Enter Linux.

When you're actually doing development, you need a good display and a good input device. When your gadget's out in the field, the input and output can be less demanding. Audio is plenty (mostly) and for input - how about location and voice.

Here's what I'd like to do: I record the voices of the people I bump into in the course of a week and get my gadget to recognize them. Then, I put in reminder messages into the gadget telling me what to ask/tell each person. Then, when it recognizes someone's voice, it vibrates (another miss on the beagleboard:) to let me know and I can listen with headphones or hold the speaker to my ear (to save an LCD display interface).

Same with locations. When I drive past a Kroger, I want my gadget to tell me to get milk or groceries.

www.beagleboard.org makes it possible.

No comments: