Thursday, January 1, 2009

Beagle DashCam

No one's talked about connecting the beagleboard to a regular hard drive so far. That's been a big miss in my opinion. And how about not putting accelerometers on the board - another big miss.

Anyhow, here's what I'd like to do - put about 4 cameras - tiny, but high resolution eyes that interface to the beagleboard. Then, you build an evidence capture application. You look for simple violations - these shouldn't be hard. Start off by recognizing a car, a line, etc. Look for people going over the limit, crossing the double white line, changing lanes without indicating, changing lanes in an intersection. Then, though you capture at a high rate and resolution into RAM, you only deposit into the HDD based on need - so, if you sense a collision or violation, then, you'll save a few angles at high frame-rate and resolution. Of course, this might need an alsatianboard, not a beagle-board - where you get your basic app running on the beagleboard and then get the basic board design and crank everything up an order of magnitude - 128 MB RAM to 2 GIG, 600 MHz to 3 GHz, etc. You get the idea - 2 Watts to 20 Watts, etc.

Then, I'd like a couple of buttons on my steering wheel that I can use to speak aloud and index each driving session using a voice tag. Also, if I want, I should be able to blue-tooth or USB the videos to my phone or laptop. HDD sits in the car always or it would be too cumbersome.

No comments: